Friday, October 12, 2012

Inside Of An LY-706 Chinese Tablet



Blogger's Note: 12.1130
I've seen a lot of people coming to this post looking to either 1) upgrade the RAM or 2) upgrade the OS. I'm afraid that I haven't seen any information that you can do either of those things to the LY-706.

First, the RAM: you will notice that the RAM chips are soldered directly to a Processor / Memory / FLASH module that is soldered to the main board. There are no sockets, no easy way to replace or add to the RAM that is in the tablet. God only knows what is sandwiched between that processor module and the main board (if anything), but there could be more RAM chips hiding under there. I think if you were to try to replace the RAM chips on the processor module - which involves some rather fine-pitch desoldering and resoldering - you would probably end up with a brick.

As far as upgrading the OS: The manufacturers website has been gone for over a year, so there's no hope of receiving assistance from them. I have heard that there are a few images out there with an upgraded version of Android, but every one of them seems to have problems when it comes to buttons. You can try one of those images, but best case is only the main button will continue to work - no volume buttons or power on/off button. I've even heard in some cases where the touchscreen stops working. WORST case is you end up bricking your tablet.

My opinion? You are stuck with what you have got. Find a use for it - I use my tablet for internet radio and that's about it - and take some joy in knowing your $100-$150 wasn't _completely_ wasted.

-----

Original Post:

I managed to drop my Chinese Android tablet the other day and the screen started acting all goofy. Uh oh. No worries - I took it apart and it was just a loose connector for the LCD display. While it was open, I felt I should take a picture for all you folks who are curious about what the inside of a tablet looks like. So - here it is.
The largest component in your tablet? After the display & touch screen, most likely the battery. That's what that big silver rectangle is, which takes up around 1/3-2/5 of the space inside the case.

I also find it interesting that it appears they bought a processor board - with RAM and FLASH memories - and integrated _that_ into their design instead of just putting all of those components on their own board. I guess the processor board was cheap and/or it helped them get the design to market faster. These tablets have flooded the Philippines market. They sell for p5000-p6000 ($125-$150, US).

BTW: If anyone knows where I can get an Android upgrade to this tablet, please let me know. A version that will allow all of the buttons to work - there are several versions out there, but there appear to be button issues with all of them. The 'manufacturer' is unable to provide an upgrade, as their website went down quite a while ago. That's that problem with buying Chinese products - low cost, but no support.

No comments:

Post a Comment